Are you looking for some unconventional ways to use fashion nail polish so you standout from the crowd? Well we all know the drill when it comes to nail polish: Paint and put away. But now you don’t have to be so quick to shelve your shade. Here are 5 out-of-the-box ways to wield that colorful little wand:
1. Use it to paint the sole of your high-heels (think: Christian Louboutin) as an easy (and cheap!) way to update them for spring. Note: Colored opaque formulas work best since they won’t reveal the true color of your shoe. Also, avoid getting paint on other parts of your shoe by placing masking tape along the edge where the shoe meets the sole—the same way you would protect the ceiling and window panes when you’re painting a room. Once you’ve covered the sole in color, allow it to dry before applying a second coat. If another layer isn’t needed, pull off the tape to reveal a neat polish job.
2. Cover up a scratch on scuffed shoes or boots. It can be hard to find shoe polish for colorful kicks, so try finding a nail polish that matches instead. But don’t rely on a bottle-to-shoe comparison, since the color can look different when it’s applied. Put the hue on your nail first and give it a minute to dry to make sure it’s a close-enough match to your shoes.
3. Personalize your favorite bag. Enlist the help of stencils and tape to make your initials look perfect.
4. Change the look of a necklace, ring, or earrings by covering faux jewels with a pop of color, like neon green, orange, or pink, to create your own DIY version of a Tom Binns Design. Simply lay the accessory flat on a paper towel and begin to paint.
5. Prevent new, fake jewelry from tarnishing. When air hits the metal, it oxidizes it and changes its color. Since clear lacquer locks out the air, it helps keep your costume jewelry looking new. Note: This will not work on already-tarnished accessories.
What are your thoughts on this article? We would love you to leave your comments below to share with other readers. Also, click the FB “Like” button and the leave a comment on Twitter.
Image: Lady Art